By Rev. Dr. Russell M. Morrow
As a beloved community of the United Methodist Church, our mission as it to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
As a community of faith named New Generation Ministries Empowerment Center our approach is to equip people to live abundantly with the Gospel of Jesus Christ in a way that will empower them to overcome crime, disease, poverty, injustice, racism and self-destruction and live a new life, with new hope, new meaning, transformation, purpose and new opportunities for their lives. Our method is to grow a worshiping fellowship through service to others. Equipping people to live abundantly in Christ means helping people know and experience the Gospel of Jesus Christ that enables them to know
- With the wisdom of God guiding them through the chaos of life
- The stature of Jesus’s life that produces character and strength of life
- The favor of God that results from the fruitfulness of life
- The love and or respect of others because of the integrity of one’s life as a follower of Jesus Christ.
Our Biblical Foundation
Our biblical foundation for our ministry of evangelism and outreach is Matthew 22:36-40 and The Great Commission Matthew 28:16-20
The Great Commandment: Matthew 22:37-40 - “Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. “And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
This means for us:
- To love the Lord God with all we have through, Worship, Prayer, Communion, Baptism, Giving Christian Life, Bible Study, and Christian Education.
- To Love Our Neighbors, serving in areas of Economic Development, Community Outreach, Social Justice, and Education.
The Great Commission: Matthew 28:16-20 - 16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
This means to us:
- To seek, Equip, and Send Forth to Make Disciples and serve.
From 1739 – 1778 John Wesley’s Foundry Church served as the beginning of Methodism, with an ethos of evangelism and ministries to the poor so linked together you could not have one without the other.
It is this model that NGMEC will adapt and use for to fulfill our mission. Like Wesley, we will begin by addressing the spiritual and temporal needs of people beginning with economic development, healthcare, ministry to the homeless and education.
To Equip to People to Live Abundantly in Christ by Following the Example of Jesus; “And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, And in favor with God and man.” Luke 2:52
- Growth in Wisdom: God’s path for living in a world of chaos.
- Growth in Stature: Building a meaningful and fruitful life.
- Growth in Favor with God: Fulfilling God’s purpose for your life
- Growth in favor with man: Practicing God’s Love in Your Community
To live out the commandment to love our community of faith.
- To intentionally model the beloved community by teaching and practicing the love of God and Christ in our community of faith.
- To encourage our friends to know and love the Word of God, and accept the bible as a personal love letter to them from God.
- To be a community of over-comers with new hope, meaning, transformation, purpose, and opportunity through love, faith, prayer, biblical study and service to God and man.
- To celebrate God’s grace and our accountability to God, without intentionally hurting or dismissing anyone because of our differences.
- To be a community that is made strong by the grace of God, the love of Jesus, and the sweet communion of the Holy Spirit, that is always resting, ruling, and abiding in our community.
To appreciate and proclaim:
- His Mission statement: “The Spirit of the Lord is on me because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Luke 4:18-19
- His Commandments: Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:36-40
- His Loving Grace: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
- His Commission: “Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20